Food And Drinks To Uplift Your Mood
We are now fully into the season of Winter and with the magic and the indulgence of Christmas out the way, we are now back into the reality of our lives. We are now in the month where we face the January Blues.
January Blues typically manifests itself as a general melancholy feeling. We have dark and wet mornings (and evenings) and with pay stretched over a six week period, there isn't really much to look forward to. Which is why, lifting yourself up by raising your energy levels and your mood is so important in January.
Your energy and your mood is important. Without a constant stream of energy, you cannot function. Living and working on low energy and low mood will not only damage your health mentally and physically but it will also affect your home life, social life and your own happiness. Low energy and low mood alone will cause unnecessary stress in your life, leaving you feeling drained and tired all the time.
You can change the way you feel though and maintain your energy levels quite easily through little daily acts of self-care and small changes to your everyday routine which will help you to have a steady stream of energy, consistent moods and more happiness in your daily life. Click here to find out how you can maintain your energy levels and see below how you can improve your mood by the food and drinks you consume.
5 Natural Mood Boosting Drinks:
1. Rooibos Tea: This tea is grown in South Africa and the minerals, like magnesium, found in the tea have been seen to reduce anxiety symptoms.
2. Turmeric Tea: There are countless teas that provide a mood boost, but nothing quite comes close to turmeric tea. Its antioxidants reduce the type of stress commonly connected to depression.
3. Water: Water is at the crux of all healthy diets. Not only does it improve your overall health from the inside out, but it’s been said to be more energising than a cup of coffee first thing in the morning.
4. Bone Broth: Bone broth stops neurotransmitters in your brain from signalling to signs of anxiety and help bring relaxation to the body.
5. Lemon, Honey and Water: Three key ingredients for the perfect healthy drink. Whilst having numerous health benefits such as healing, decreasing coughs, skincare and boosting your immune system, it also boosts your mood too.
10 Natural Mood Boosting Foods:
1. Bananas: Everyone knows bananas are full of potassium, but what you may not know is that they also contain tryptophan, a brain chemical that helps to regulate mood.
2. Berries: Berries contain a mood boosting chemicals which lift your mood and decreases depression.
3. Quinoa: Quercetin which is a flavonoid found in Quinoa has been shown to have anti-depressant effects.
4. Oysters: Low levels of Zinc have been linked to anxiety so keeping yourself on top of your Zinc levels with foods that are rich in Zinc, like Oysters, will decrease your anxiety levels.
5. Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate is a good source of antioxidants and it's also been found to reduce the stress hormone cortisol.
6. Salmon: Salmon is full of omega-3 fatty acids, which can improve mood and fight depression.
7. Turmeric: Not only will having Turmeric in your tea to help enhance your mood and to fight depression but so will adding this spice to your cooking.
8. Apples: Apples have a calming effect on your body and mind and creates more energy, helping you to increase your happiness levels.
9. Spinach: Spinach contains folic acid, which alleviates depression and reduces fatigue.
10. Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a great source of Vitamin D which boosts your mood if you are feeling low.
I hope this helps,